Monday, February 7, 2011

More Then Just “A Doll on a Music Box”

In this weeks class the clip from “Chitty Chitty Bang Bang,” “A Doll on a Music Box,” really intrigued me and caught my attention. While we were watching it, I thought to myself that this was a really weird scene and didn’t understand its significance to our studies. In the past, I felt that I needed to know the whole story in order to understand a particular part. So with that idea in mind, I looked at the scene skeptically, thinking that it was impossible to analyze without knowing the rest of the film. As is turned out, that was definitely not the case. I was blown away by all the theories my classmates had come up with. I am somewhat naive to theories and how to analyze them, but after that class, I came out with a different perspective on how to approach theories. I think that you can’t always use the same theory for everything your read or watch. My theory turned out to be insignificant for this particular occasion. I didn’t need to know the whole movie to see what was going on. “A Doll on a Music Box” was a great lesson for me in that there is always more than what appears at the surface. More then anything, this week got me over my fear of now knowing as much as other people in the classroom. I am extremely eager to learn more from everyone and look at new perspectives to approaching literature and film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment